SERVPRO of Bath/Brunswick: Roof leaks and Structural Water Damage Causes and Effects
There are numerous household issues that residential property owners will have to face at some point. A leaking roof can be one of the most challenging and damaging to a home. Prevent your home from being subjected to unwanted structural issues by reading and following the tips below.
A roof failure leading to water damage within the structure can have several causes. Some contributing factors could be:
- Weathered shingles may need replacing.
- Dried/weathered caulking or cement tar around chimneys and vents can allow water to drip into the attic crawlspace or run down vent pipes into the walls.
- Metal flashings may deteriorate by eaves or windows.
- In the fall leaves may clog gutters and downspouts enabling rain to wick into the attic. SERVPRO of Bath/Brunswick suggests checking these problematic areas periodically as a preventative measure.
- Winter may cause snow accumulation on a roof, therefore forming ice dams.
Every water damage and home is different. Our crews are trained to look for specific conditions to best treat your situation.
- Ceiling panels and drywall can become soaked. If they become water logged they may collapse. Small leaks will damage the surface of the drywall requiring a skim coat and new paint. If too much water wicks into the cardboard backing and gypsum, then discarding and replacing are in order. Porous materials, like drywall, can be a habitable surface for mold if not thoroughly dried.
- Other areas of the property (insulation, wooden beams, concrete, etc.) that are wet can produce microbial growth/mold. In addition to causing structural problems to your home, fungi can result in health effects.
- Any items made of wood can begin to swell, degrade, and/or rot.
- Carpeting and upholstery can become stained due to water exposure. The carpeting can discolor and begin to smell. Wet padding and carpeting can also soak through, subsequently causing damages to the subflooring and structure beneath. Upholstery and furniture can start to smell and discolor as well.
- Electronic equipment and appliances can be damaged or ruined by water exposure.
If you suspect you have a water damage of any level, call SERVPRO of Bath/Brunswick immediately at 207-721-8500, or contact us here.
Our IICRC-certified trained technicians are available 24/7, 365 days a year. The professionals of SERVPRO Bath/Brunswick have extensive experience mitigating water/mold/smoke and fire damage. We are here for you, ready to make it "Like it never even happened." !